Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

If I register with the ODS, will it show up on my academic record?

No. A student’s academic record is maintained by the Registrar’s Office. All disability documentation and information related to a student with a disability is maintained in a confidential file in the Office of Disability Services (ODS) office.

Are there separate admission standards for students with disabilities?

No. Students with disabilities must meet the same admission standards as their peers without disabilities.

When and where do I send my disability documentation?

The ODS encourages enrolled students to send a copy of their disability documentation as early as possible to the ODS in order to ensure that accommodations can be provided in a timely manner. The ODS will review the documentation based on the appropriate guidelines to determine if the applicant would qualify for accommodations and support services at Texas State University. The ODS will then notify the applicant, via their Bobcat Mail, of any approved accommodations or the need for additional information. This information will be maintained by the ODS.

How do I get my accommodation letter and forms to take to my professors?

  1. Go to
  2. Click the icon labeled “Accommodation Letter”
  3. Request your Accommodation Letter through iCat
  4. Come to the ODS office within 3 to 5 business days to pick up your letter
  5. Have all your professors sign your Accommodation Letter and return the letter to ODS

When and where do I sign up to be able to register early for classes?

Students registered with the Office of Disability Services are entitled to Special Groups Early Registration of classes.  In order to access the accommodation, students ought to clear any holds on their Texas State account (advising, library, parking, etc.)., and during the Special Groups Early Registration dates, register online through CATSWEB.

Be sure to confirm that you have a $0 balance to prevent your classes from being dropped.  To confirm a $0 balance either obtain a confirmation bill at the Registrar’s Office before the last day to pay and take the bill to the Cashier’s Office to obtain a receipt, or confirm your $0 balance online.  If your $0 balance is not showing as receipted contact the Cashier’s Office at 512.245.2544 to be sure that any waiver you qualify for was applied to your bill.

Can I receive accommodations on assessment tests?

Based on an individual student's documentation, accommodations may be approved for the reading, writing or mathematics assessment test.  Students registered with the ODS who plan to take any of these tests may request a letter from the ODS listing their approved accommodations.  The student will provide this letter to the Testing, Research-Support & Evaluation Center.  This information should be requested and arranged at least three business days in advance of the scheduled test date.

Does the ODS provide books in an alternative or audio format?

Yes.  The ODS can facilitate access to audio books for enrolled and qualified Texas State students.  Upon request the ODS will assist a student with obtaining an accessible e-book.  If not available through online services, the ODS may also scan and convert students' physical textbooks into an accessible e-file.

If I am approved for books in alternate format, how do I request these materials?

Complete all of the requested information on the ODS "Alternative Text Request" form for each textbook or course material need in accessible formats for the entire semester.  You can obtain these forms directly from the Alternative Text/Audio Books page on the ODS website.

Do you only provide sign language interpreters for classes?

No. In addition to providing interpreting services for deaf and hard of hearing students in class, students can request an interpreter for tutoring sessions, a play, lecture, student organization meeting or any other university-sponsored event by completing Interpreting Request.

If I am receiving services elsewhere, will I automatically receive them at Texas State University?

No. The ODS reviews all disability documentation according to our Guidelines for Acquired Brain Injury Accommodation, Guidelines for Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorders Accommodations, Guidelines for General Disability Accommodations, Guidelines for Learning Disability Accommodations, or Guidelines for Psychological Disability Accommodations. Therefore you may or may not qualify for the same accommodations at Texas State University. For this reason we strongly encourage students to send a copy of their disability documentation to the ODS for a review as soon as you are admitted. It is important that students have information regarding accommodations in order to make an informed decision about which university can best meet their disability needs.

Could I be in college and have an undiagnosed learning disability?

Possibly.  Approximately 50% of the students with learning disabilities and Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorders served through the ODS were not diagnosed until they were students at Texas State University.  If you are a currently enrolled Texas State student and suspect you have a disability, we recommend you to register with and contact the ODS office for an initial consult.

Do you have designated parking for persons with disabilities?

All Texas State Texans must display a valid Texas State permit in addition to the disabled person plate or placard issued by TxDOT to park in a designated disabled person parking space.  If all disabled spaces are full, any legal space can be used with the exception of reserved spaces such as visitor, metered, hall director, and service/delivery.  Additional questions regarding parking, please contact Parking Services 512.245.2887.

I cannot write due to a broken arm, can you help?

The ODS can provide note taking paper to students who cannot take notes due to temporary disability and were approved for volunteer note takers.  The student can provide the paper to fellow classmates who will serve as their note taker.  Depending on the nature of the class, the ODS may also approve the student in acquiring copies of course notes used in class or professor notes. The ODS can also provide a scribe for exams.

How do special education services differ from university accommodations?

Special education is mandated to provide a free and appropriate education to public school students through the provision of instructional services and modifications.  The school is responsible for ensuring a student’s progress.  It does not apply to universities or colleges.  Universities, on the other hand, must ensure that a student does not encounter discrimination due to a disability, and must provide reasonable accommodations that allow the student to fully participate in university programs/classes.

What types of services are provided by the ODS?

Does ODS offer tutoring for students registered with the office?

The ODS does not offer tutoring services.  Tutoring is available for all enrolled Texas State students at:

*SSS provides one on one tutoring for students with disabilities who qualify for their program.  SSS is a federally funded grant program and serves a limited number of students so you must apply early!

Will an ODS Specialist advise me on which classes I need to take?

No.  Students with disabilities should work with an academic advisor in their college on all course requirements.  An ODS Specialist can assist you with selecting classes that best fit your disability-related needs (balancing reading intensive, writing intensive classes) and recommending the names of faculty from a range of academic departments whose teaching style has been identified as accommodating the unique needs of students with disabilities.

How many students does the ODS serve, and what types of services are provided?

The ODS tracks the number of students served and services provided on an annual basis.