How to Register with ODS
- After being admitted to Texas State University, fill out the CSI (Confidential Student Information) Form. This is required to register for services with ODS.
Securely provide documentation of the disability or disabilities to our office via in person, fax to 512.245.3452, or upload to the Texas State File Transfer link. This link and additional information on how to provide documentation(s) will be sent to students' Texas State Email, known as BobcatMail, upon completion of the CSI Form. Please do not email any confidential information.
If you need our office to request this information on your behalf, we will provide you with a Consent for Release of Confidential Information Form. The information you will need to fill out is your name, on-campus or off-campus provider information, and the signature portion at the bottom. You may email the completed form to our office to be faxed to your listed provider. If you have any additional questions or need more assistance with the Consent for Release of Confidential Information Form, please contact our front desk at 512.245.3451.
ODS will review the need for accommodations and support services based on the student’s disability documentation(s) and disability based-need(s). It may take up to 30 business days for the ODS to review students' submitted documentation.
- ODS will notify the student to schedule their Accommodations Review Meeting via email after their submitted documentation has been reviewed.
Types of Accommodations
The Office of Disability Services determines accommodations that ensure students with disabilities have equal access to all university programs and activities. Types of accommodations include but are not limited to:
- Extended time on examinations
- Reduced distraction environment for testing
- Note-taking assistance
- Alternative format text
- Assistive technology
- Special Groups (Early) Registration for classes
- Preferential seating in the classroom
- Sign language interpreting services*
- Captioning (speech-to-text) services*
*The criteria used by the ODS to determine if interpreting or real time captioning services is a reasonable accommodation for an individual student may include, but is not limited to:
- It is required to provide results of the student’s audiological evaluation documenting the nature and severity of the hearing loss in order to receive services,
- Age of onset of the student’s hearing loss and type of loss,
- The student’s ability to benefit from accommodations such as preferential seating and amplification with an FM system,
- The student’s previous experience using sign language or oral interpreters.
- The student’s English literacy skills. For captioning services, English proficiency should be sufficient to allow for reading and comprehension of the captioned text of the lecture.
Students who are officially registered with the Office of Disability Services and have attended their Accommodation Review Meeting may request their accommodation letter by completing the following process:
- Go to the Office of Disability Services website
- Click on the icon “Accommodation Letter”
- Log-in to the Student Affairs Information System using your Net ID and password*
*This is the same information used to check your financial aid, grades, schedule, etc.
- Once you log into the Student Affairs Information
System, your screen will list actions including “Bobcat Early Success Check,” “PAWS Alert,” “Diversity Connection,” “Student Organizations,” “Event/Activities,” and “Your iCAT (CoCurricular Transcript)” on the left-hand side of your screen. Click on the action “Your iCAT (CoCurricular Transcript)”.
- You will now be navigating through the “Your iCAT” page. Scroll down the screen and locate the section titled, “Office of Disability Services” and click on “Request Accommodation Letter.”
- After selecting “Request Accommodation Letter,” a disclaimer or notification will appear reminding students of the Office of Disability Services’ processes after requesting their letter. Click “OK”.
- After clicking “OK,” an additional notification will appear verifying that your request has been submitted. Click “OK”. Your accommodation letter will be emailed directly to your BobcatMail within 3-5 business days of your request.
- Via BobcatMail, forward your accommodation letter to each instructor teaching courses in which accommodations are necessary. Please read the email containing your accommodation letter for detailed instructions on the accommodation letter process.