Academic Accommodations and Services
At Texas State University, students with disabilities are responsible for advocating about their need for accommodations to appropriate university personnel. Therefore, each student should know about, and understand the nature of their disability. The ODS will help facilitate access to accommodations for students through written and/or verbal communication with faculty and staff members. The ODS may provide some services directly to students with disabilities, and for other services will be coordinated with university departments and offices that will facilitate the necessary accommodations. All members of the university community work together to ensure students with disabilities have the reasonable and appropriate accommodations necessary for physical and/or programmatic access.
Academic Accommodation Letter and Signature Forms
The ODS utilizes Academic Accommodation Letter and Signature Forms to help students inform faculty members of the students' accommodation needs each semester. It is the student’s responsibility to notify faculty members about their needs early in the semester. Accommodations are not officially in place for the semester until the student completes the following process:
- Make sure to have your TXST NetID and password, then go to ods.txstate.edu
- Click the paw print icon labeled “Register With ODS”
- Fill out the CSI (Confidential Student Information) Form. This is required to register for services with ODS.
- Send any additional documentation of the student's disability to our office in person or via fax to 512.245.3452.
- ODS will review the need for accommodations and support services based on the student's disability documentation and disability-based need. ODS has up to 30 business days of receipt of the documentation to decide appropriate accommodations.
- ODS will notify the student to set up an appointment via email after determining appropriate accommodations.
- After meeting with an ODS specialist, the student can sign up for Special Group Registration and request their Accommodation Letter from the ODS office.
- After picking up the Accommodation Letter, the student must get all of their professors must sign the letter and then bring it back to ODS. Meet with each faculty member individually (except for online courses) to discuss the Academic Accommodation Letter and Forms and the accommodations that will be needed for their class. A faculty member may recommend an alternative to an accommodation listed on the letter. For example, copies of lecture notes and overheads may be offered in lieu of allowing the recording of class lectures. An alternate accommodation may be reasonable as long as it is equally effective and achieves the same result. This must be repeated at the beginning over every semester.
- Return completed Academic Accommodation Letter and Forms to the ODS.