Skip to Content

Accommodation Resources

Syllabus Accommodation Statement:

Students with disabilities are legally entitled to request accommodations at any time during the semester, faculty members are encouraged to help students identify their needs early by including an accommodation statement on their course syllabus.  An accommodation statement may read:

“If you are a student with a disability who will require an accommodation(s) to participate in this course, please contact me as soon as possible.  You will be asked to provide documentation from the Office of Disability Services.  Failure to contact me in a timely manner may delay your accommodations.” 

Programming Accommodation Statement:

Program or event statement - In order for university programs and events to be accessible an accommodation statement should be included on program fliers, brochures and in event announcements.  An accommodation statement may read:

If you require an accommodation (information in alternate format, sign language interpreting) due to a disability, contact (name of program contact and contact information).  Accommodation requests should be made at least 72 hours in advance of the program start time to ensure availability.

Sign Language Interpreting Services:

The Office of Disability Services coordinates interpreting services for the university community.  Faculty or staff who need to request an interpreter for a university-related activity should refer to the Procedures for Requesting Sign Language Interpreting Services.

Fire and Emergency Evacuation:

If you are a faculty or staff member with a physical disability at Texas State or have a student with a physical disability in your class.  It is important that you familiarize yourself with the university has Fire and Emergency Evacuation Procedures for Persons with Disabilities and follow these procedures in the event of a fire or emergency.

Gender Neutral Restrooms:

The university has accessible gender neutral restroom facilities in several campus facilities for those with special needs.

Parking For Persons With Disabilities:

Designated disabled persons parking is available on university streets, in parking lots and garages throughout campus.  Faculty and staff members must display a state-issued disabled license plate or hang tag to park in designated disabled parking spaces.  State of Texas disabled parking permits are available through County Tax offices.  Please refer to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles web site for additional information.  For information regarding disabled persons parking at Texas State visit Parking Services.

Service/Assistance Animals:

Texas State faculty and staff who require the use of a service/assistance animal on campus must meet the criteria for accommodations and/or services outlined in the Procedures for Service Animals.