Students, faculty, staff, and other persons with disabilities who attend or participate in Texas State sponsored activities, programs and services are entitled to reasonable and appropriate accommodations to facilitate such participation according to federal law and university policy. For a person who is deaf or hard of hearing, the services of a qualified sign language or oral interpreter is a reasonable and appropriate accommodation. A request for interpreting services may be made by a deaf or hard of hearing person or by an Texas State representative; however all requests should be coordinated through the Office of Disability Services (ODS).
With certain exceptions, a play for example, it is not necessary to provide accommodations such as interpreting services for every university-sponsored activity. Alternately, sponsored activities or programs are advised to include an accommodation statement on all publicity materials including fliers and posters. This process places responsibility on the individual to request necessary accommodations. It is suggested that an interpreter be scheduled as part of the planning process for speakers and/or plays with the knowledge that the advance request can be canceled with no payment obligation up to 24 hours prior to the event. For events that occur over multiple days, i.e., a play, one performance of the event should be publicized as accessible through sign language interpretation. This will encourage those who require this accommodation to attend a specific performance and reduce the need to provide interpreting services for each performance.
Steps to Obtain a Sign Language Interpreter
- Fill out this form or contact the ODS directly at 245-3451 (voice/TTY), Suite 5-5.1, LBJ Student Center for more information.
- The ODS must receive the request 72 hours prior to the start of the event if the event is less than four hours in length. If the event is more than four hours in length, the request must be received at least one week prior to the event.
- The ODS will schedule a qualified interpreter(s) from the Texas State interpreting pool. Contact information including the name(s) and telephone number(s) of the interpreter(s) will be provided to the event contact person. The interpreter(s) will also be provided the name and telephone number of the contact person.
Payment for Interpreting Services
- Any cost associated with providing accommodations is the responsibility of the department/program if the host department/program charges a fee associated with the event.
- At the time of request, the department/program will be informed of the cost of interpreting services for the event.
- There is a flat fee for interpreting services; $20/hr during the day, $30/hr during the evenings and weekends. This fee is subject to periodic increases based on market rates. Any event more than one hour in length will require two interpreters.
- Following the event, the ODS Interpreter Coordinator will submit an invoice for payment to the department/program for which service was provided.
If a department/program representative or person with a disability cancels interpreter services less than 24 hours prior to the event for which interpreting services were scheduled, the university is obligated to pay the interpreter(s) for the full contracted amount. If the deaf or hard of hearing person is a "no-show" at the event, interpreting service fees will be charged to the department/program as scheduled.
Questions regarding interpreting services should be directed to the ODS Interpreter Coordinator, 245-3451, Suite 5-5.1, LBJ Student Center.