If you don’t own a TTY, you can still make and receive calls from TTY users. This is done through a relay service called Relay Texas (RT). The service is free of charge and the RT operator functions as an interpreter during your phone conversation. Everything you say will be typed to the caller and everything the caller types will be voiced to you.
To use Relay Texas:
- Dial 1-800-RELAY-VV.
- The operator will answer and ask for the number you are calling.
- The operator will dial the number and tell you when the call is ready.
- Speak directly to the party you are calling – not the operator. Everything you say will be typed to the caller and everything the caller types will be voiced to you.
- To end a turn in the conversation, say "GA", and the other person will begin typing again. Each person is expected to take a turn only after receiving a "GA" from the other party.
- When you are done with your conversation, say "GA to SK", meaning "go ahead to stop keying" or "good-bye", to let the person know you are ready to end the conversation.
- After each party says SK you may hang up.